Thursday 12 June 2008

Big Black Blobs


In front of City Hall on the south bank of the River Thames, dotted around the amphitheatre, are some mysterious big black blobs. Too big to sit on, too big to jump over and too big to hug, I wondered if they had a purpose. Maybe they represented something significant in this newly regenerated area? Or maybe somebody just thought they were pretty (they’re not!).

I inspected a little more closely, curious to find out more about these “things” and what they were doing at the More London site. Surprisingly, a lot of tourists were taking photos of the big black blobs and I began to wonder if these were, in fact, significant works of art by a famous artist which I ignorantly knew nothing about. I found a small plaque (right) but was none the wiser.

So I have done my research. There was not any “further information” on the website as promised on the plaque so it took me a while to find out more about the Full Stops by Fiona Banner.
These giant full stops are sculptured in bronze and each represents a full stop from different font types. The following explanation makes basic sense:
“For More London, the forms selected are chosen to mirror the surrounding architecture of the development, the new GLA building and Tower Bridge. The sculptures cause one to pause, stop, carry on.”
I’m afraid the artist lost me with this next quote though!
“The sculptures create an abstract encounter with language. The Full Stops function as abstract sculptures with or without their reference to language and punctuation.”

They may not be colourful or self-explanatory but the Full Stops add a little texture to the area and are a talking point among visitors. I prefer my name for them though!


No comments: