Tuesday 15 July 2008

Tourist Walk In London 5



After a lovely organic fruit juice or two, it was time to bid goodbye to my companion and set off on the final short stage of my tourist walk in London. I am not a great lover of walking but, with sightseeing stops throughout the day, it had turned out to be a really enjoyable experience.

I walked out of St James’s Park with Horse Guards Parade in front of me; turned left into Horse Guards Road and up to The Mall. I turned right with the Institute of Contemporary Arts on my left and the famous Admiralty Arch straight ahead. Passing through the arches, I arrived in Trafalgar Square – possibly one of the most legendary London sights, famous for its Lions (statues, not real ones!), Nelson’s Column (above left), the fountains and scenes of celebration and demonstration over the years. It also used to be famous for its thousands of pigeons but last year a law was passed banning the feeding of birds in the area. There are now relatively few pigeons in Trafalgar Square and that age-old obsession of allowing birds to perch on your arms and head is no more!

It was now 8pm and the sun was low in the sky behind me as I wandered up the Strand to catch my bus to Liverpool Street. I was exhausted but buzzing with all that I’d seen and done. Even for someone who has lived and worked in London, visiting all these famous tourist spots and seeing world famous sights is pretty exciting. Having bought a great value two day London Pass, my only regret was having to travel all the way home and back again the next day… oh for a luxury hotel room somewhere in central London!


London Pass available from www.londonpass.com
Special offer available until 21st July:
Adult 2 Day pass reduced to £46 (usual price £49)




No comments: