Tuesday 29 July 2008

London For Kids




I am not a parent but with the long summer holidays there are plenty of parents who are tearing their hair out trying to keep their kids entertained. One of my nephews celebrates his 12th birthday next month (12 going on 20!) and, rather than give him a present which will undoubtedly be disregarded soon after the event, I have decided to take him to London for the day.

He has visited quite a few attractions in London already including the London Eye, the Tower of London and the Globe Theatre so I have turned to the London Pass website for a few ideas. They have a suggested itinerary for children which includes the popular Namco Station at County Hall. But for a boy who lives near to the amusement arcades of Southend-on-Sea (a popular seaside town in Essex) this would not be particularly special. I’m also not sure he’d be too enamoured by the Royal Mews or the Firepower Royal Artillery Museum. BUT… I do think he’d enjoy London Zoo and I’ve no doubt that he’d love the Chelsea Football Club Stadium Tour. He is a big football (soccer) fan and, although he supports Tottenham Hotspur, what keen young footballer wouldn’t want to visit the changing rooms and walk down the tunnel of a world famous premiership team?

Among the other ideas are the Cartoon Museum and Pollock’s Toy Museum which I will probably visit myself at some point but I think my rather grown-up nephew is just a bit too “cool” for these! Give him another 10 years and he’ll probably appreciate them just as enthusiastically as he would have done a couple of years ago!

I will continue to look through the London Pass attractions to plan the perfect itinerary for this birthday treat but Chelsea FC is a definite and London Zoo will also be included. I think he would also enjoy a canal boat trip (I would too!) but I need to get the maps out and see how practical my choices are. I don’t want to spend half the day travelling on public transport but want to make sure he has a day to remember. I’ll keep you informed!

No comments: