Monday 21 July 2008

The Guards Museum, London



I suppose it was only a question of time before I visited somewhere that I really didn’t enjoy at all. There have been places that weren’t entirely my cup of tea but I’ve still garnered something from the experience. Unfortunately, the Guards Museum did not fall into this category. I admit that I have no special interest in military history but I don’t believe that special interest should be a prerequisite for visiting museums. As usual, I entered this attraction with an open mind and some hope that I would learn something new or see something unusual.

The staff were friendly and welcoming on arrival and accepted my London Pass with a smile and said if I had any questions I could ask them. Within a few minutes I probably should have requested a guided tour of the museum as, without audio or written guides and a distinct lack of information on display, the exhibitions were pretty meaningless.

There is so much on display at the Guards Museum that I am sure any military enthusiast would be in his/her element here. Unfortunately for me, there appeared to be a distinct lack of order in the displays and too many artefacts in each cabinet. Consequently, I could not even enjoy the musical instrument section which might just have won me around!

Having said all this I do think that kids (particularly boys) would enjoy all the military paraphernalia and anyone with a family history in Her Majesty’s Foot Guards. Regrettably there was nothing here to tickle my fancy and I think this was largely due to the shortage of information and the overstuffed display cabinets! It may, of course, just be me that feels this way. With free entry for children and just £3 for adults, it is not the end of the world if you agree with me so don’t be put off by my negative review. If you are visiting Buckingham Palace, the Royal Mews or the Queen’s Gallery it is probably worth popping in while you are in the area.


The Guards Museum is open 7 days a week 10am – 4pm.
Adult Entry: £3
Children 16 and under: Free

London Pass holders can visit the Guards Museum free of charge.






No comments: