Monday 5 May 2008

Crossing London


So back to my day of London Pass fun.
After leaving the Globe Theatre I headed towards my “something new” which is, I suppose, somewhat misleading. The Millennium Bridge is new to me but is now, as its name suggests, several years old. It hit the headlines when it was opened due to its uncontrollable wobbling and was soon closed for essential modifications. Those who crossed the footbridge in its first few days of existence reported that it felt more like a rope bridge than a modern high-tech feat of engineering! It was, therefore, with some trepidation that I approached the entrance at the Tate Modern Gallery end.

There is no doubting that the Millennium Bridge is an attractive addition to the River Thames and it affords some incredible views in all directions. Despite my fears, I am glad to report that there was not the slightest hint of a wobble as I crossed the bridge and I actually rather enjoyed the sedate walk across the Thames. At either end are two major London landmarks (the Tate Modern Gallery and St Paul’s Cathedral) so whichever way you walk you get a great view. Admittedly, walking towards St Pauls is rather more pleasing on the eye than walking away from it!

With my London Pass in my bag I headed towards St Paul’s for a little historical, religious and architectural education! It’s rather shameful to admit that this would, in fact, be my first trip inside the world famous Cathedral. But, as they say, it’s never too late to start learning!

No comments: